SPORTS AND OTHER TALENT SUPPORT
Boli Sports Academy Notice.
• Established in December 2010 – inspired by a volunteer from Finland (Mikko Ojala) who started up a football team with the kids who enjoyed playing football in their spare time.
• Mikko went on to order football costumes from Finland which were received happily within the organization.
• Mr Kalunda found two coaches (Benson Katamba and Dennis Nyanzi) who would professionally train and help the children polish their skills which later were tested during tournament leagues with children from primary and secondary schools around Kampala.
• Coaches from competing schools were impressed with BOLI children’s skills and decided to take some of them on to join their schools on scholarships; primary schools included Bugolo Junior, God with Us, Rosepask, and Bishop George Sinabulya primary schools; Chwa II Memorial College Secondary School.
• Venues of league matches changed according to the weather and game invitations from different schools.
• At the beginning, there was a nearby free football pitch near BOLI office where the children practiced but later on we lost that opportunity.
• BOLI has 3 football teams in total with at least 15 players in each team between the ages of 10-18.
• Children around the community were also attracted so they joined and kept themselves busy especially during school holidays so kept away from any trouble or drug use.
• Unfortunately, because children would play football the whole day, hygienic issues arose and extra clothing, bathing soap and water was necessary.
• Children were impressed with the improvements of their talent especially when they won league cups which built up their confidence as individuals and football players hence a greater self-worth and purpose. They also felt younger and energetic.
• Mr Kalunda’s objective was to shape/polish the children’s talents and improve their lives financially which is in the process because of the scholarships gained and also the opportunity that some children have received to play football professionally within big national teams.
• Advice about the academy
• Equipments i.e. footballs, costumes, referee whistles etc.
• Salary income for coaches
• Food and drinks for players (before and after matches)
• BOLI van to transport children to and from visiting matches.
• BOLI’s own football pitch
• Hoping to start up a girls’ football team.